ČIRA-ČARA VILLA (VILLA VILLEKULLA)
There is an extraordinary house which stands on the bank of Velenje Lake and operates in accordance with topsy-turvy household rules set up by Pippi Longstocking. Her playful house rules will amuse you and lead you through quirks of our one and only Pippi. Outside the colorful wooden house there is a yard, where you can see Pippi’s flourishing garden and her horse Alfred (Alfonso) and monkey Ficko (Mr. Nilsson). Knock on her door and be prepared to have an unforgettable visit!
Pippi’s Stage is a big stage in Velenje’s Culture Hall, which will be putting up the best Slovenian children’s plays each festival morning. Pippi’s children jury will watch every play, select the best one and award it the Golden Pippi at the end of the festival. (The program has been announced.)
Tomaž’s Stage (Tommy's Stage) is located in the Music School of Fran Korun Koželjski in Velenje, and it will present to us selected local plays and creative gems from the local surroundings. While visiting Tomaž’s Stage to see a play, you can enter the organ hall and take part in the free-of-charge interactive workshop on the world’s biggest instrument. (The program has been announced.)
Captain’s Stage is the central and biggest stage at Velenje Lake. This is the place of Pippi’s arrival and of the opening and closing ceremonies. During the festival week, Captain’s Stage faces the lake and, creating a living room-like ambiance, it conjures up an atmosphere of music, theatre, and dance creativity. In cooperation with the Music School, Captain’s Stage will let us enjoy watching real masters of music, who will be there every day to take us on a journey from the very beginners to real masters of each instrument. (The program is in its preparation phase.)
Pirate's Stage might be a small stage, but it provides great experiences. In an intimate atmosphere, it presents little stage jewels from the pirate treasure trove. Here we can enjoy sparkly performances by many units of Velenje Nursery and, in only one week, experience dance, puppet, music and theatre plays under the baton of one and only stage pirate. (Program schedule is in its preparation phase.)
Pippi’s No-Stage: Pippi’s Festival is a place of exploration and discoveries. Among different stages we can encounter something new every day. There are live dolls strolling around the festival venue, puppet shows which take place under the trees and unusual encounters which happen unexpectedly and surprise you every day around some new corner. Go find them or let them find you!
Anica’s Stage (Annika's Stage) in the White Hall at TRC Jezero comes to life on rainy days only. It shelters us from rain and makes it possible for us to keep prancing around cheerfully and keep enjoying Pippi’s program. Pippi is not made of sugar and neither are we!
Pre- and post-festival moods are linked through a series of Pippi’s high-quality exhibitions, which like freckles on her cheeks are scattered over many town’s exhibition venues. Take a walk and enjoy a visual journey across fine exhibitions in Velenje Gallery, Velenje Library and Šoštanj Library, in Velenje Museum inside Velenje Castle, the Coal Mining Museum, eMC Plac exhibition room and at the central venue at TRC Jezero. (Exhibition program is in its preparation phase.)
Pre- and post-festival events start off with Velenje Theatre’s special movie screenings. During that time, Pippi takes over the movie schedule as well as the projector room and plays her favorite program – Pippi’s movie treats, which show us exciting fictional and animated adventures. During the festival, Pippi’s Cinema extends its hand to our fearless hero Kinozaver, who runs educational workshops dedicated to learning, playing and exploring the world of cinematography. These workshops are held daily in the Movie District at TRC Jezero. (Pippi’s Cinema program is in its preparation phase.)
Creativity is the driving force which steers the festival boat across the miscellaneous oceans of our imagination! Creative and experiential workshops let you acquire new knowledge through active, creative participation and cultural and educational approach. Pippi’s experienced and trained mentors and animators are always there to gladly help the youngest realize their ideas. Creative corners and groups will follow this year’s festival theme, which means that we are going to find out what we can do ourselves. For apprentices and masters with different interests and tastes, Pippi has prepared the following corners:
- MASTERS OF CRAFTWORK can put themselves to the test in the Pirate Shipyard and, following the routes of the pirate map, embark on an unforgettable adventure. Get acquainted with the secrets of tiles, paving stones, bricks and masonry recipes in the masons’ corner. Visit the plumbing workshop to find out about water flow and dispersion, see how the water pressure works, and learn about the wonders of the precious drops which make up the largest part of everything in the nature. In the woodworking workshop learn how to set up a fireplace or play a xylophone. The car workshop might leave you with greasy fingers, but it will also teach you how to pivot a screwdriver and will disclose to you some sly tricks of skilled mechanics. And that’s it! corner is something you definitely mustn’t miss! Here you will meet well-known cartoon masters Pat and Mat, who do everything wrong and in their own, special way. You will find an electrical workshop in a tent, where you will learn about old and modern lamps. The Recycling Room is a place where you will see how an old theatre stage can become new again.
- MASTERS OF CULTURE have prepared themselves to teach you about art in an experiential and educational way. Each master was once a novice and each masterwork started with nothing more than an idea. Let your imagination free and join the art districts, the true creative jewels of Pippi’s Festival. The Music House is a place where you will not only get familiar with different instruments, but will also get to try playing them as well as making them. You can enjoy watching puppet plays and exhibitions every day in the Puppet District. Literary District will introduce to you a real book worm and reveal the secrets of written wisdom. In the Painters’ District, you will get a chance to mix all the colors of the world and create artwork by using different painting techniques. Our heroic Kinozaver will give you a warm welcome in the Movie District and introduce to you the elements of cinematic expression and filmmaking occupations, after which he will invite you into an entertaining open-air recording studio. Museum District is a place where you can turn back the wheel of time and get acquainted with our cultural heritage and with a true treasure trove abounding with wisdom of our ancestors. Dance District will show you a multitude of ways in which music and movements can be connected, whereas the Theatre District invites you to visit it every day and see a performance of your choice, selected from the rich festival menu. Through a very playful way, these cultural and educational districts make the world of art more approachable, as it is worth exploring – it is a world you want to know more about and through creativity surrender yourself to it!
- MASTERS OF ENVIRONMENTALISM: Well, Pippi also has a garden. Pippi’s Garden, of course! She has planted lollipops in one of the garden beds, lettuce in a wheelbarrow, and potato in a pirate barrel! This year, she has invited mushroom pickers, herbalists and masters of outdoor survival, who will use exhibitions and learning demonstrations to help you understand nature better and prove that our Mother Nature is a DIY master with whom we can team up and produce wonderful results together!
- MASTERS OF FASHION: Pippi doesn’t care about fashion rules! She has her own style which suits her best! Visit our fashion masters, create your own dream dress, weave a unique fashion accessory, put a thread through the eye of a needle, sketch your own design and discover a style which is only yours!
- MASTERS OF NATURAL SCIENCES: Take a peek through a microscope, perform a scientific experiment and check the laws of the nature! Embark on a journey through the fields of curiosity and come back for at least one Ficko’s flea smarter and wiser! Masters of natural sciences are waiting for you in the biggest tent at TRC Jezero.
- MASTERS OF ARTISANRY: We are going to pay tribute to our grandmothers and grandfathers and will learn many things that we can do ourselves. We will invite artisans, who will employ their skillful fingers in order to weave baskets, make pipes, knead clay, knit, sew, maybe even crochet. They will be joined the youngest masters of artisanry: brave little designers form the Velenje Nursery, who will use their own drawings to make a land of swings – Swingland.
- MASTERS OF CREATIVITY will be gathering under the roof of the big White Hall at TRC Jezero, where they will be industriously drawing, cutting, joining together and creating decorative and practical products, which can adorn their festival costumes, children’s rooms, or their parents’ offices. Under the guidance of experienced mentors and animators, participants of these creative workshops can submerge in imaginary worlds and develop their creative and artistic potential.
Pippi is a strong girl who believes that a healthy mind is in a healthy body. That is why she has prepared for you all sorts of possible and impossible physical activity. During the festival, you can enjoy riding a horse, rowing, SUP surfing, inline skating, running, mountain climbing, jumping and dancing. You can also decide to undertake Pippi’s mini-adventure, Pippi’s Hike or cycling. Or you can search the whole festival area far and wide and look for festival treasures, which will enliven both your body and your mind!